New Rules Lead to Phase-Out of Adult Services
Ohio's County Boards of Developmental Disabilities face new regulations from the federal government's Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. These rules are changing the way they operate.
The new rules prohibit County Boards from providing case management and direct services to individuals with developmental disabilities who receive federal waiver funds.
As a result, the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities determined that County Boards must phase out their adult services offerings, as well as their transportation programs. The Montgomery County Board of Developmental Disabilities Services (MCBDDS) developed a Transition Plan to guide the phase out of these services and help individuals find private providers of services and programming. The Board also created a visual summary of this plan.
As part of this Plan, MCBDDS has developed a series of supports and tools to help individuals evaluate and connect with providers. MCBDDS Adult Services staff and Service and Support Administrators (SSAs) are also engaged in helping people find private providers of services.
For updated information about the Board's progress toward Transition, please visit the homepage of our website or sign up for our Transition Updates.
Adult Services Mission
Supporting people with developmental disabilities to live, work and serve in our community.
- Access to meaningful employment
- Community inclusion
- Skill reinforcement
- Creative activities to support the achievement of personal interests and goals
How We Do It
- We assess the person's wants and needs.
- We introduce them to environments where they can excel, feel safe, make friends and participate in the broader community.
- We listen to and design activities based on stakeholder recommendations and feedback.
- We determine their program placement, based on availability.
- We assist in implementing an individualized plan that directs the services to be delivered.
- Vocational opportunities
- Enclaves (staff-supervised work crews)
- Job placement/travel training
- Community employment
- Community-based activities
- Volunteer opportunities