Residential Supports

A number of options exist to help people with developmental disabilities who wish to live in the community.  These options include:  

  • Remote Supports and Monitoring:  You may have heard about Remote Monitoring and Assistive Technologies, but do you know how they can benefit you or your loved one? Remote Support, also known as Remote Monitoring, is an emerging service that combines technology and direct care to support people with developmental disabilities. It uses two-way communication in real time, including home-based sensors, cameras and other devices, to provide a less invasive means of monitoring and responding to the needs of individuals living in the community.  

    For a brief overview, read the Summer 2018 Board Bits article.

    How Remote Supports Work:  Video Examples

    LEARN more about this new approach to support in this brief animated video.

    SEE how a young man is using remote supports and assistive technologies to help him live more independently in this video

    Remote Supports and Assistive Technology:  Facts

    The Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities has also created a Fact Sheet about Remote Monitoring and Support. 

    Do you have questions about Remote Monitoring and Support?  Contact Mitch Snyder at 937-837-9205.

  • Ohio Shared Living: Ohio Shared Living is a service authorized by county boards of developmental disabilities for people who live with a paid caregiver that delivers at least 20 percent of their personal care and supportive services.  That can be in the caregiver’s home or in the home of a person that needs support.

    Ohio Shared Living caregivers or providers coordinate the support needs outlined in a person’s service plan, and help to facilitate those services.

    Being a caregiver is a full-time commitment; however, caregivers can still work outside the home full-time, and respite programs are available to support caregivers.

    For more information about Ohio Shared Living, you can:

    • Visit the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities website.  
    • Contact your Service and Support Administrator.