- For Providers
- Independent Providers
- Medication Administration
Medication administration training and certification developed by DODD authorizes caregivers to perform a variety of tasks for people with many different medical conditions. Medication Administration is valid for DD services settings and only in the State of Ohio.
There are two ways an Independent Provider is permitted to administer medications. One is through family delegation; the other is to become certified to administer medications and perform various related tasks.
Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities
- General information about Medication Administration
- How to become approved to administer medication
- Ohio Revised Code regarding Authorization
Family Delegation/Shared Living
The Montgomery County Board offers the opportunity to receive the Medication Certification Administration classes through The Academy for Direct Support Professionals. Please see the Provider Training tab on our website calendar on the MCBDDS homepage for details and dates of classes.
DODD also offers Medication Administration Training Classes. For information, please visit the DODD training portal.
Medication Administration Certification must be renewed on an annual basis. It requires two (2) hours of continuing education related to medication administration and/or health-related activities. Participants must demonstrate skills of medication administration and health-related activities.
- It requires two (2) hours of continuing education related to medication administration and/or health-related activities. Participants must demonstrate skills of medication administration and health-related activities.
- You have 60 days past your expiration date to renew your certification without re-taking the initial training course. You may NOT administer medications or perform health-related activities during that 60-day period. If you allow your certification to expire and you go beyond the 60 days, you will be required to re-take the entire initial training course to become re-certified.