News Flash Home
The original item was published from 6/25/2019 10:15:00 AM to 6/25/2019 10:18:49 AM.

News Flash

Latest News

Posted on: May 29, 2019

[ARCHIVED] Disaster Relief Resources

The following resources are subject to change, and may need to be confirmed prior to use.  Please use them as guidance only, and confirm with a call or check of social media posts whenever possible.

Two FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers Now Open

FEMA has opened two Disaster Recovery Centers to help renters, homeowners and businesses in Ohio affected by the tornadoes, storms and flooding of May 27 – 29, 2019. To request reasonable accommodation (ASL interpreting, Braille, Large print, etc.), please call 800-621-3362 in advance or ask recovery staff for assistance.

Trotwood- Madison High School, 4440 N Union Rd, Trotwood, OH 45426, Monday through Sunday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Dayton Children’s Hospital, Child Health Pavilion, 1010 Valley St., Dayton, OH 45404, Monday through Sunday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

At the Disaster Recovery Center, representatives from FEMA, U.S. Small Business Administration, Ohio Emergency Management Agency and other Ohio agencies are available to explain disaster assistance programs, answer questions about written correspondence and provide literature about repairs and rebuilding to make homes more disaster resistant.

Before visiting a recovery center, survivors should register for federal assistance one of the following ways:
• Online at;
• Using the FEMA App; or
• Call 800-621-3362 (including 711 or Video Relay). TTY users can call 800-462-7585. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET, seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.

Family Assistance Center

Montgomery County, in partnership with ADAMHS, has opened a Family Assistance Center (FAC) located at 1500 Shiloh Springs Road in Dayton (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). The center will operate this week from Monday through Friday (June 24-28), 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Center will serve as a “one stop” location to meet with representatives of Public Health – Dayton & Montgomery County, American Red Cross, Montgomery County Auditor’s Office, Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services, St. Vincent DePaul, United Way HelpLink, Ohio BMV, and ABLE Legal Aid. The Center will offer access to one-on-one intervention services to assist with trauma and mental health needs for those individuals affect by the tornadoes. 

A computer lab will be available for displaced residents to access online services for such things as insurance claims, public assistance benefits, replacement Medicaid/Medicare cards, and information on senior services, housing and transportation services.

Emergency Assistance for Families:  Through 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 26

Families with minor children may apply for emergency funding to replace essential items lost in the May 27 - 28 storms through 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 26, at The Job Center, 1111 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. They can also apply at the temporary Family Assistance Center set up at The Church of Jesus Chris of Latter-day Saints, 1500 Shiloh Springs Road (open M-F, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.) Applicants should bring identification, proof of address, verification of income for the last 30 days, and insurance paperwork if applicable. 

Replacement Funds for Food Assistance:  Through Friday, June 28

Montgomery County residents have received a special extension for applying for replacement SNAP food assistance. Because significant damage challenged so many residents in their ability to apply in a timely manner, the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services granted an extension until Friday, July 5, to request replacement benefits. Such replacement benefits usually must be requested within 10 days of the loss.  Applicants must have lost power for four or more hours as a result of the May 27 - 28 storms. Montgomery County Job and Family Services eligibility specialist will verify the outage by working directly with DP&L. These benefits can be requested either at The Job Center through the deadline, and eligibility specialist will also be at the Family Assistance Center, 1500 Shiloh Springs Road, through Friday, June 28. 

For Workers

Disaster Unemployment Assistance Available: Montgomery County citizens who are unemployed due to the disaster are eligible for disaster unemployment assistance. Individuals should call 1-877-644-6562 to make applications. 

Job placement, training, and supportive services are all currently available at The Job Center at 1111 S. Edwin C. Moses Blvd. in Dayton. Montgomery County is encouraging anyone who has lost work because of the recent storm damage to come to the red door at The Job Center for employment help. Anyone in need of services should attend orientation, which is held at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. every Monday through Thursday.

The State of Ohio has approved a Montgomery County request for $500,000 to help businesses and workers affected by the tornados that touched down May 27 and 28. The bulk of the grant will fund a Mobile Career Resource Center, which will be outfitted with 20 computer stations, to support the County’s workforce-related needs. The grant will also help with training for people who have lost work because of the storms, and provide $100,000 toward supportive services for workers. These funds will cover the cost of dependent care, work attire and uniforms, tools, transportation, auto repair, and books and supplies for job training.

Montgomery County Waiving Fees for Utility Permits

Montgomery County is helping the community to rebuild by issuing permits at no charge for electric and gas piping. This waiver is effective immediately for restoring services to properties affected by the recent storms. These waivers will be in effect through July 31.  Property owners still need to apply for permits for safe reconnection!

Each property will need to be inspected to ensure safety when turning on the utilities, but the fees for these permits will be waived.  For electric and gas reconnects, DP&L and Vectren are already inspecting properties that sustained minor or no damage, and restoring service where it can be done safely. If they find damage or leaks, they will inform the owner or tenant to have the damage repaired, and to then contact Montgomery County Building Regulations for permits and inspections.

To request a damage assessment, follow these steps:
1. Apply for a Damage Assessment permit. (
2. Permits will be issued within 48 hours.
3. Request the damage assessment inspection, and an inspector will visit your property the following business day to conduct the damage assessment.
4. When the assessment is completed, you will receive a damage assessment report which you can submit to your insurance agent.

Any questions concerning permits for safe utility reconnection should be directed to the Montgomery County Building Regulations Department at or (937) 225-4622.

NOTE: To view your damage assessment report online, go to, select “Check Permit Status”, and type in your case (building permit) number or the address of the property. Please note: There are separate application forms for Commercial permits and 1,2 and 3 Family Residential permits.  For multi-family buildings, assessments may be applied for on a “per building” basis. You don’t need to apply separately for each apartment.


If a natural disaster destroyed your housing and you need assistance with moving expenses, rental deposit, rent and utility payments, contact these numbers for assistance and resources:
• Miami Valley Community Action Partnership:937-963-9433
• St. Vincent de Paul Conferences: 937-222-5555
• VRBO may also offer reduced rates for shelter in time of disaster:

If the recent tornadoes destroyed your rental housing to the point that it is deemed uninhabitable:

  • Contact your landlord or property management company to ask if there are comparable units available that you can move into. Units should be comparable in pricing, bedroom size, amenities, and location.
  • You can immediately vacate the premises and notify the landlord in writing your intention to terminate the rental agreement, in which case the rental agreement terminates as of the date of vacating.
  • You are entitled to a refund of your security deposit if you have been forced out of your housing unit long term due to a natural disaster situation that’s out of your control.

Property Taxes: Properties damaged/destroyed in the Memorial Day tornadoes may be  eligible for a deduction in taxable property value. Call Montgomery County Auditor’s Office at (937) 225-4326 or visit

Property Deeds: Montgomery County Recorder’s Office will provide FREE property deeds to those impacted by the storm. Visit the Montgomery County Recorder’s Office from 8AM to 4PM, M-F, at 5th Floor, County Administration Building, 451 W. Third St., Dayton.

Homeowner Assistance – Home Repair Programs
• CountyCorp: 937-225-6328
• Rebuilding Together Dayton: 937-223-4893
• People Working Cooperatively: 513-351-7921

Legal Assistance and Fair Housing Resource
• Legal Aid of Western Ohio, 937-228-8088, 1-888-534-1432,
• Miami Valley Fair Housing Center, 937-223-6035,

Grants from Ohio Realtors Housing Disaster Relief Fund

Ohio Realtors have created a $325,000 Housing Disaster Relief Fund to assist Montgomery, Greene and Mercer County residents whose homes were damaged in the Memorial Day tornado outbreak.  Residents who owned or rented a home may be eligible for up to a $1,000 non-repayable grant if they meet certain criteria.  Assistance will be limited to housing relief only. Expenses such as second mortgages, vehicle purchases and rental and/or mileage are not eligible for reimbursement.  Details about eligibility requirements are available at The grant application is also available on the site.

Programs for Storm Relief

The Ohio Treasurer’s office administers two economic development programs that may be beneficial to impacted individuals or entities when insurance coverage or relief funds do not cover the full cost of repairs or replacement of property, equipment, or vehicles, or if those impacted did not have insurance coverage for the damage incurred.

  • ReEnergize Ohio and ECO-Link offer interest rate reduction on loans for damage from natural disasters for any Ohioan with a small business or a primary residence located in Ohio. The bank loan application must be submitted in conjunction with a participating Ohio depositary bank. The borrower and the bank loan officer complete the application online. Please contact the Ohio Treasurer’s Department of Economic Development at 614-466-6546 or 1-800-228-1102 for assistance finding a participating bank in your area.
  • ReEnergize Ohio (previously Renew Ohio) assists small business owners and farm operators who require loans to repair or replace their property. The ReEnergize Ohio linked-deposit program can work with SBA loans as well.
  • ECO-Link (previously Rebuild Ohio) assists homeowners with financing the restoration or replacement of their primary residence through the use of construction or restoration loans.

More information about ReEnergize Ohio and ECO-Link can be found at If you have any further questions, please contact the Ohio Treasurer’s Department of Economic Development at 614-466-6546 or 1-800-228-1102.

Debris Disposal 

The Montgomery County Solid Waste District located at 1001 Encrete Ln., Moraine, OH has announced extended hours to accept solid waste and yard waste. Hours are: Monday – Friday, 6am – 8pm; Saturday, 7am – 4pm; Sunday – CLOSED. Montgomery County residents in heavily affected areas will experience approximately a 20% reduction in disposal costs only. Do not dump trash or debris! All trash or debris should be taken directly to the Solid Waste District or transported by private haulers from the curb. Jurisdictions and private haulers are helping to manage cleanup for trash and construction/demolition debris by providing large dumpsters in affected areas. Additional information at (937) 225-4999 or

Yard Waste/Brush: Yard waste and brush disposal is FREE for Montgomery County residents at the Solid Waste District. All yard waste must be clean and free of debris/trash. No larger than 24” diameter pieces. No stumps. Contractors will be charged at $36/ton for yard waste and brush disposal. Residents should continue putting yard waste and brush debris at curbside. Local jurisdictions, private haulers, and volunteers are helping to remove yard waste and brush and take it to the appropriate location. 

Asbestos Removal: For emergency demolitions, a variance can be given by Regional Air Pollution Control Agency (RAPCA) for the asbestos inspection, the 10-working day wait, or the requirement to remove all regulated asbestos containing materials prior to the start of demolition activities of a facility. Emergency demolition means any demolition operation conducted under a written order issued by a state or local governmental agency because a facility is structurally unsound and in danger of collapse. Please note, residential structures having fewer than 4 dwelling units are exempt from all asbestos regulations. For full details visit or contact the RAPCA Asbestos Coordinator with questions and for assistance at 937-225-4435. 

Open Burning Prohibited: Many communities are faced with the task of disposing of large quantities of debris from the recent storms. Ohio has strict rules prohibiting the open burning of any waste material, including storm debris, within city limits. Storm debris includes any and all materials such as trees, brush, building materials, and trash. Contact your local municipalities for information concerning disposal methods and available assistance, or contact RAPCA at 937-225-4435 to get guidance.   

Companies offering specific disposal services are: 

Champion Equipment & Supply, 3600 Valley Street, Riverside, Ohio 45424 

Accepting: Tree debris ONLY (no trash)  
Open 7:30 am – 5:30 pm, M – F
Open 8:00 am – 3:00 pm, Saturday
Closed Sunday 

Vance Rd Hard Fill: 2101 Vance Rd., Dayton, OH  

Accepting: Construction & demolition debris ONLY (No trash and/or yard waste);
Open 7am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday;
Open 8am – 2pm, Saturday 

United Way 2-1-1 HelpLink Service

Those affected by the storms can call the United Way 2-1-1 HelpLink Service if they are seeking resources such as clothing, food or programs for themselves or their family.

  • 2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember phone number that connects callers to information and services in times of need. It is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even during disasters. 

Mental Health Support

  • SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline (a nationwide hotline for individuals experiencing emotional distress during a disaster):
  • Optum Public Crisis Line:  A toll-free emotional support help line that is free of charge and available to anyone.  Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week:  866-342-6892
  • Samaritan CrisisCare:  937-224-4646

Locating Lost Pets

The Montgomery County Animal Resource Center is extending its hold period for stray dogs from areas affected by the recent tornadoes from three days to 10 days. With this extension, the shelter hopes to provide residents plenty of time to identify and reclaim any dogs lost because of the storms. The hold period extension will continue until July 15. Anyone who has lost their dog, either as a result of the storms or otherwise, should check the Animal Resource Center’s lost and found page often, available at That page has links to photos of all dogs currently under a stray hold.

Tornado Preparedness and Recovery Information


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Latest News

Montgomery County Board of Developmental Disabilities Services' logo featuring Wright Flyer airpl

Network outage

Posted on: February 22, 2024
Group photo of 2023 DDHOF and ERMA winners

MCBDDS recognizes Champions for Change

Posted on: January 29, 2024
calendar page from 2024 MCBDDS Events Calendar

2024 MCBDDS Community Events Calendar

Posted on: January 4, 2024